It seems this time of year there are SO MANY burlap DIY projects out there! It’s like fall comes around and the entire craft world becomes OBSESSED with burlap. Ok, I admit, I have also fallen head-first onto the burlap obsession train… full speed ahead!
Burlap can be a beautiful but difficult fabric to work with if you’re not “in the know” about this little technique that makes it SO MUCH EASIER to cut burlap in a straight line AND keep it from unraveling! Seriously, once you know how to cut burlap the right way, you’ll never go back!
I really love to craft with burlap because not only does it have fabulous texture, but it’s also usually pretty cheap! And don’t be fooled, not all burlap is plain brown.
You can actually find colored burlap and printed burlap with all kinds of fun patterns. Oh, the crafting possibilities! Be still my burlap-wrapped heart! Anyways, enough drooling over burlap, onto the good stuff!
How to Cut Burlap and Keep It From Unraveling
1. Measure your burlap and decide where you want to make your cut. Grasp one of the strands of burlap at the edge of the fabric where you want to make the cut. (You might need to snip the strand with scissors to start it if it is bound on the edges.)
You will never see me with perfectly manicured nails, like ever. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
2. Pull on the strand and keep pulling until it comes all the way out. Don’t worry if it breaks off. Just find where it left off and grab it and keep pulling.
This step actually requires two hands, but I ran out of hands when trying to take a picture at the same time. You get the idea.
3. Once the strand is all the way out, there should be a nice line for you to easily cut!
Like a little road for your scissors!
4. Use your scissors to cut right down your nice, straight line!
5. Now that your burlap is cut in a nice straight line, this should also keep it from fraying while you are working with it. However, if you are not going to be finishing the edges of your project at all, you might want something a bit more permanent to keep more strands from coming out.
And there you have it! Now you, too, are “in-the-know” about how to cut burlap and keep it from unraveling. It’s really very simple, and it makes life SO MUCH EASIER when crafting with burlap.
Because if it’s not cut right, that stuff will just unravel like a toddler who hasn’t had a nap… and we all know how ugly that can be!
Now that you know how to cut burlap and have some ideas, let me know what burlap crafts you’ll be working on in the comments!
If you need some inspiration, check out my burlap table runner with ribbon. It’s perfect for the holidays and makes great home decor year round! And if you enjoyed this post, check out the links below for craft, DIY, and home projects and tips!