Have you ever been invited into someone’s house and instantly felt welcomed and relaxed? It’s doesn’t even have to be someone you know very well, but you still feel right at home in their house. There’s actually a reason for that, and it doesn’t have as much to do with the design and style as it does with creating an inviting atmosphere where guests feel welcomed and at home.
One of the most important things you can do as a host is to make your home look inviting. Guests should feel welcomed and free to relax the minute they enter your home. And though this sounds like a lot of work or too time consuming to deal with when you’re expecting company, it’s so easy you can actually do it ten minutes before your guests arrive and no one will be the wiser.
10 Easy Ways to Make Your Home Look Inviting in Under 10 Minutes
1. Let in the light. Nothing says “welcome” like natural light, so open up those blinds and curtains and let some light in! Dark, dingy rooms just aren’t as inviting as light, airy spaces. So do yourself and your guests a favor and open up those blinds! All that natural light can also help a small room look bigger, so it’s really an added bonus for your home!
2. Clear the clutter. Nobody wants to have to push aside a bunch of random household clutter just to be able to sit on a couch or at a table. It’s not fun for the people who live there, and it’s certainly not appealing for guests. Create a nice, clean space for guests so they’ll feel invited and welcome.
3. Create a space where people can relax. Wherever you like to do your entertaining, make sure it’s a comfy area where people can relax. So whether that’s on your living room couches, at your dining room table, or on your back porch, make sure it’s a comfortable space that’s not too overly formal where people can feel free to relax without worrying about messing something up.
4. Have a place for drinks. An area for guests to set down their drinks invites them to stay awhile. A decent coffee table or ottoman and coasters in the living room will give your guests the impression that you actually want them to stay and chat awhile!
5. Include soft linens and pillows. As someone who is always cold, I can tell you that extra blankets and throws are always appreciated! And even if your friends aren’t cold blooded, linens add a soft, cozy feel to the home, and invite people to sit and relax awhile, regardless of whether they use them or not.
6. Keep your home at a comfortable temperature. It’s never fun to visit someone’s home and be overly hot or cold, so keep your guests in mind if you typically keep your home at a higher or lower temperature than normal. You can always switch it back to the way it was when they’re gone. 😉
7. Light a candle. Candles not only provide a warm atmosphere, but they can also create a pleasant scent that can make your home smell wonderful. You can also use a wax or oil warmer to help give your home a boost in the scent department. If you or your guests are sensitive to fragrances, consider these natural ways to scent your home.
8. Open up pathways. Walk around your home and pretend you’re someone visiting for the first time. Is it easy to navigate around, or are there things in the way that you’ve forgotten about because it’s become second nature for you to step over or around them? An open layout that’s easy to navigate around is especially helpful for people who aren’t familiar with your home. Make sure guests don’t have to trip over a toys or a pile of magazines just to sit at the couch. This is especially important in smaller homes where furniture and clutter quickly add up.
9. Designate a place for coats and shoes. Not only will this help your home look more organized and clean, but it’s helpful for guests so they don’t feel like their belongings are in the way and cluttering up your home.
10. Hang a wreath. There’s just something about having a wreath hanging on your front door that makes a home look so welcoming and inviting. It’s an easy way to add some instant seasonal cheer to your home. My interchangeable wreath makes it easy to just switch out the accessories for the next holiday or season in no time at all!
Winter / Valentine’s Day / St. Patrick’s Day / Spring
Summer / 4th of July / Fall / Christmas
Luckily, it’s not too hard to create a warm atmosphere and make your home look inviting. In fact, I’m willing to bet that you already do a few of these things. Just a few tweaks here and there and your guests will feel so at home that they might never want to leave! 😉
Do you have any tricks to add to the list? Let me know in the comments! Don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter below for my weekly craft and home tips!