Call me weird, but I just love planning room makeovers. It’s so fun to pick out and envision different paint colors, furniture, decorations, and accessories. I’ve always planned my rooms with an idea in my head of what I want the finished product to look like. But I’ve found actually sketching it out and putting it on paper or computer screen is a much better way to get a visual idea of how all of the different elements will work together beforehand. Plus, then you can tweak and make adjustments before beginning any work and spending any money or committing to anything.
One tool I like to use to plan room makeovers is Pinterest. If you’re unfamiliar with Pinterest, it’s basically a visual search engine and bookmarking tool filled with ideas for everything and anything. From DIY crafts and recipes to fashion and travel, you can really find almost anything you need on Pinterest. And that’s what makes it perfect for planning a room makeover.
You can create a board specifically dedicated to your makeover and pin things you want to include. Whether you’re gathering inspiration or you’re actually planning on buying or making something, it’s a great visual tool to let you see how all of the various pieces will fit together as a whole. Plus, sometimes it’s just fun to do a virtual room makeover even if you won’t be making changes any time soon! 😉
If you don’t have a Pinterest account, you’ll first need to sign up for one here. It’s completely free and takes just a minute or two to create an account. Then check out this quick guide to get started using Pinterest and begin planning your amazing room makeover!
How to Plan a Room Makeover Using Pinterest
- Create a board specifically dedicated to your room makeover on Pinterest. If you don’t want anyone to see your board, you can make it secret.
- Pin things to your board that you want to include in your room. Don’t just pin things that you think you might like, or your board will quickly fill up with things that aren’t relevant. Pin only things that you absolutely love and you really want to include in your new room. You don’t want to fill up this board with a lot of pins or it will get overwhelming when it comes time to actually do the makeover.
- Here are a few ideas for things to include on your Pinterest board for your room makeover:
- Paint colors
- Curtains/curtain fabric
- Wall decor
- Linens (pillows, blankets, throws, etc.)
- Decorations & accessories
- Remember to include every part of your room, even if you won’t be changing everything. For example, it might be helpful to pin a paint swatch of the wall color even if you won’t be repainting the walls so that you can see how the color goes with everything else.
- You can include your own photos by uploading them to Pinterest. So if there’s something a piece of furniture you already have but you can’t find a photo of it online, you can include your own picture to see how it’ll look with all of your other items on your Pinterest board.
- While it’s helpful to pin the exact product you’re looking for on your Pinterest board, you can pin inspiration that looks similar to what you want but you might not actually buy. You can always price shop and compare different products and stores later once you know the look you want.
- Make personal notes in the description section of the pin to keep track of how you’ll use the item, or what you might want to change about it.
- Think about how you and your family will use the room and what your needs are. When you’re doing a room makeover, you want to think of function and practicality, not just looks. Though you may love the look of a white sofa, it might not be exactly practical if you have kids or pets. At the end of the day, your space should work for you and your needs. So when planning a makeover, make sure you’re getting good use from the space you have.
- Follow people who inspire you and regularly pin things that match your tastes and style. This is a great way to discover new items and to find inspiration for your own room makeover. You can follow me if you’re looking for budget friendly DIY home decor ideas!
For example, we have a love seat taking up a good amount of space in our tiny living room, but we never use it. About 90% of the time it’s just covered in laundry or random stuff we have lying around. So why do we even have a love seat taking up so much space in our living room?
In small rooms, it’s important to make as much of your furniture and larger items as versatile and “double duty” as possible. So in addition to getting rid of the love seat, we might trade our coffee table in for a storage ottoman. That way not only can we store stuff inside it, but it can be used as a place to set drinks and double as extra seating when we have guests.
Creating a board on Pinterest for your room makeover is a great way to see all of your ideas come together. It gives you a great visual idea of how everything will look once it’s all together in one spot and allows you to tweak things beforehand if they don’t look exactly how you had envisioned.
If you’re planning your own room makeover, I’d love to hear about it in the comments! If you enjoyed this post, you’ll love my newsletter full of weekly craft, DIY, and home project tips and tutorials! Be sure to sign up below!