So, you know you’re a wine cork craft addict when you send your husband to the store for wine and tell him to only buy wine bottles that have real corks. Priorities… we have them! I mean not only do I love to craft with wine corks, but I am all about coming up with great excuses to enjoy a glass of wine. And what better excuse than making crafts from the wine corks?
My love for wine cork crafts began with my wine cork pumpkin, and once I saw how wonderfully that turned out, I started to wonder what else I could make from wine corks. And as it turns out, you can pretty much make anything and everything out of wine corks!
I knew that once Christmas rolled around, I absolutely NEEDED to make a wine cork Christmas tree! Like my Christmas decor would not be complete without it, and we might even need to (dare I say) postpone Christmas if we didn’t have that wine cork tree! Luckily, wine cork crafts are pretty quick and easy, so I finished my wine cork Christmas tree with plenty of time to spare, and now there is no need to postpone Christmas. Phew!
Wine corks make great crafting materials because they’re usually quite abundant (unless you have a wine cork craft addiction like me, in which case you go through them faster than a runaway train). But luckily, I have a secret source for wine corks when my own stash runs low.
Did you know that you can buy wine corks for much cheaper than the craft store? (I mean really, what can’t you buy on Amazon is the question?) Now you never have to worry about running out of wine corks for all those fantastic wine cork crafts! Craft on, my friends!
Materials Needed to Create DIY Wine Cork Christmas Tree
- 31 wine corks
- Green paint
- Glitter paint
- Foam brush
- Ribbon (or other tree topper)
- Glue/glue gun
Steps to Create DIY Wine Cork Christmas Tree
1. Set three wine corks aside, and paint the rest of the wine corks green. Let the wine corks dry, and then add a layer of glitter paint on top.
2. While the painted wine corks are drying, take the three wine corks you set aside and glue them together into a triangle. Then glue one end of your twine to the edge of the wine cork triangle and wrap the twine around the corks. Secure the end with glue.
3. Divide your green wine corks into rows. Your bottom row should have seven corks, and each row after that should have one less cork. Glue each row together.
4. Once the rows of wine corks have dried, stack them up and glue them together one row at a time. When all the green corks are glued together into a tree top, glue the twine-wrapped trunk to the bottom. Make sure the trunk is centered so the tree can stand on its own.
5. Now it’s time to add your tree topper! You can make a bow from ribbon and glue it to the top of the tree, or use whatever tree topper your heart desires!
Now you have your very own DIY wine cork Christmas tree to display in your home! Isn’t she beautifully sparkly? I must admit, I forgot about the glitter paint until the very end of making my tree, shame on me! So that’s why you don’t see the sparkles in the photos until the end!
This is really a very easy way to add some beautiful Christmas decor to your home! When you’re done with your tree, feel free to share a picture of it on my Facebook wall to help inspire other crafters! I know I’m not the only one with a wine cork craft addiction!